The night was Friday, January 23, 2008.
I was tired from field work and equally drained from thinking various soul quests. When I went back to the office, there were some food that I was invited to eat. Two of the company's former senior engineers, Wowie and Lito were leaning on having a despedida later the night. They invited me for 'two bottles'. I said I would immediately go there as soon as I finish up pending reports. The despedida would take place at some bistro (too tired to even bothered to look) at C. Palanca street in Makati.
When I finally reached the place, they were drinking beer and munching tofu and prawn chips. They told me earlier that the drinking spree would only consist of two bottles, but three buckets on the table were evident that they were planning finishing more than the even prime.
I looked around. The place was stock full of people looking for a good night. They were called burgis by my gleefully drinking team mates. Maybe a nod to the range of social classes. Anyway, I didn't care much to the surrounding peeps. I just wanted to toke up and call it a night.
...And then I noticed a band prepping their instruments.
The band introduced themselves as 'Streamline'. They were a five-man band, namely, a frontman, a bassist, violinist, lead guitarist and a drummer. That night, they played tunes from Nickleback, Creed, Verve Pipe and other similar sounding bands. Some were jiving along with the music, most were not. I was thumping my fingers and humming along. They played some requests that they could play. I got interested with their capability when they played Green Day and after cracking some jokes after every song, like:
Frontman: Someone gave me an imitation copy of Dashboard Confessional. Honestly, I don't know which song is which.
I effin' laughed.
They also played some song by Mariah Carey (renewed and popularized by David Cook of American Idol fame). I don't know the title but I and the crowd were laughing our asses out. The frontman was obviously sarcastically singing out of jest. Anyway, it was a great joke (sorry Mariah Carey fans). Har har.
They finished their first set with that one and started the second with a song from U2 and a few more requests. There was also a song wherein the violinist had a solo. I observed that the crowd was somewhat enjoying their music (prolly due to the booze)
Reaching the end of their 2nd set, they played a medley of songs that fired up the crowd. First was Prinsesa (Teeth) then it transitioned to Mr. Brightside (The Killers) then Enter Sandman (Metallica) after which the medley ended with Salamat (The Dawn). When they played 'Salamat'. The entire bistro mystically changed into a rock concert. Everybody who've I initially thought has no musical taste in rock and roll, was head banging and singing along with the lyrics. The place was alive with sheer bliss.
The band ended their marathon with 'Salamat'. But that didn't stop the crowd from craving and shouting 'MORE!' 'MORE!'. Streamline effectively electrified the crowd with their talent and this was the consequence: Zombies craving for flesh. They were giving that night. They had to give in to the horde and played one last song. It was 'Wonderwall' by Oasis. On speed, that is. Once again, the whole area was in upbeat. I found myself again lost in the booze and music. I was high. It was like I'm back in Highschool, 5 years ago. Just like old times.
At the end of the song, I lifted my Hook'em Horns and gave a complimentary rocker salute to a great band. The crowd agreed and gave the same. Rock on dudes.
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment