Friday, December 01, 2006

Wishes

Wishes are defined as statements of hope. They are often a request of fortune, bad or not they may be. They are the abstract results of man’s unlimited and unattainable desires. They’re very similar to prayer excluding the divine intervention. A lot of these are a plea for a better life, to gain more than the other, to reach a certain position in society.

Wishes of the current millennia are only forms of superstition. No longer were they inquired to a genie or to a Norse god. Now, they’re frequently produced out of human emotion, be it from joy or grief. Wishing to a falling star, wishing to a wish bone, or wishing to Santa Clause are forms of these “superstitions”. There’s nothing wrong in believing them nor there is in putting them into practice. It’s just the bother of having consequences of believing too much on one wish. What if a wish never came true after a person placed all his hope and time in it? Even if it did came true but took years or decades in which a human can’t wait for too long. Disappointment will be the end result of excess believing. And disappointment can lead to uglier things. Losing hope in life is one of them. It’s obvious that losing hope in life will mean death. Cruel isn’t it?

The irony of this post is, I just used my first and last wish stick (cigarette) yesterday. I wished that I had a reason to finally stop smoking cigarettes. It didn’t take long for me to light up another one since I know I’ll never encounter that reason.

And the reasons for wishing for such? Too many and too irrelevant for this post, maybe for another time.

No comments: